Find Your Tour
Recent News & Updates
Such a great time we live in, having all these different bikes to choose from! All from large adventure bikes to lighter more capable off-road adventure bikes that still maintain a great highway character. Tell us what you think, best bike out there and why? https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/aprilia_tuareg_660_vs_yamaha_tenere_700_comparisonRead More
We just got back from another fantastic tour through the most beautiful part of Mexico, The Copper Canyon. Stellar group of riders, lucky as can be, dodging rain storms, light traffic and demanding riding.The Canyons unusually green and lush this time of year. Mexican people are some of the kindest and most welcoming people to riders and travellers. The food in mexico is so wonderful, the spices and combinations are so well matched and ingredients fresh and well prepared.check out the photo gallery for more detailed photos in our tour gallery! Copper Canyon Photo GalleryRead More
Training is the best way to spend those downtime months during winter. Head to the beautiful South West USA and prepare for a coming season.Read More
The tradition is deep. It existed 3,000 years ago in Mesoamerica, an annual celebratory reunion with the departed. It would blend with European observance of All Souls Day with the 16th century arrival of Spanish Conquistadors and Christianity. The result is something unique on a global scale. Nowhere will you find this more authentic, than in the Central Mexico region of Oaxaca (wha-ha-ka). MotoDiscovery invites you to joinRead More
Tour Questions? See our FAQ | email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copper Canyon 8 Day Motorcycle Expedition
A Mexico motorcycle adventure riding the wilds of the Chihuahua Sierra Madres.
A legendary ride into the spectacular Copper Canyon region of Mexico’s northern Sierra Madre Mountains. Superb sporting mountain paved roads lead to an off-road canyon descent and several exploratory unpaved routes into this culturally rich and historically fascinating region of Old Mexico. We now categorize this tour as ADVENTURE, however, to be clear, this is a “big bike” friendly event where unpaved roads represent only about 10% of the tour and is designed for those who have at least some off-road experience. It is suitable for couples with a support vehicle available should your pillion passenger be more comfortable when getting off the pavement. By off road standards the unpaved portions are on gravel, non-technical roads. You can ride your own personal motorcycle!
- The Tarahumara Indian. You may have heard of this primitive tribe, known as long distance endurance runners. Many still live in caves and shelters clinging to the remote canyon walls. Migrating with the weather, you are sure to encounter them on this Copper Canyon Mexico motorcycle tour.
- Nuevo Casas Grandes has layers of history dating back hundreds of years to the Paquimé Indian Pueblos. Mormon families immigrated to this desert valley in 1886 creating an enclave of Polygamist followers and building a prosperous agricultural community. Mennonites are also prominent. Black Jack Pershing and the Punitive Expedition constructed a large encampment with 11,000 troops staged to pursue Pancho Villa after the bandit raid on Columbus, New Mexico in 1916.
- Urique. It is an old mining town established by Colonial Spaniards over 300 years ago. Today it has only about 1,200 inhabitants. Most notable is the ride there as it is situated in the depths of the canyon sliced by the river of the same name. The views are spectacular and for the adventure rider, it presents an exciting and scenic ride, twisting from high pines to the warm chaparral country below.
- Pancho Villa. He’s known as a fierce guerilla military tactician, leading the Division del Norte, a force of 50,000, during the Mexican Revolution of 1910 – 1921. Prior to his military career however, he was known more as a bandit, cattle rustler and quick to draw his pistol on anyone who crossed him. This reputation would serve him well in creating an image that would have him feared as well as adored. Pancho Villa lived, worked, fought and died in the state of Chihuahua. His presence is felt to this day.
- The Copper Canyon. It is said to be over four times greater in size than the American Grand Canyon. It is actually a vast complex of deep canyons, towering mesas, pine covered forests and slicing rivers covering an area of over 25,000 square miles. For the motorcyclist it presents the best of riding opportunities, whether it be exploring its depths on challenging old mining roads or on the superb sporting twisting tarmac.
- The food. MotoDiscovery has a reputation for fine dining. While the fare in this region is simple, our riders rave about the offerings. And for those with any special dietary needs, we have yet to not be able to accommodate, and do it well. You won’t be disappointed
- The Team. With over four decades riding the roads of the world, MotoDiscovery has rightfully earned a reputation as being the best when it comes to your staff team. In regions such as Mexico we rely heavily on our multilingual guides to provide you genuine services, share the culture and history and above all provide a safe and memorable touring experience. It is more than a job. It is a duty and one joyfully embraced. That is how we do it at MotoDiscovery.
- This tour is the ideal platform for a customized private tour just for you and your friends. Interested? Fill out this easy Custom Motorcycle Tour Questionnaire, and let’s get started.
April 01 – 09, 2023
Oct 07 – 15, 2023
9 days/8 nights
9 days/8 nights
BOOK WITH CONFIDENCE
By requesting a booking, you'll be able to reserve your spot on this tour. Closer to the tour date you will receive an email with payment information and you will be able to make a deposit or pay the entire balance.
Adventure - This category of MotoDiscovery motorcycle tour is likely to involve at least some unpaved surfaces that can be navigated easily by cars and other vehicles. Dual purpose (on-off road) motorcycles are most suitable for this environment and having prior off road riding experience is suggested. No single track.
April 01 – 09, 2023
Oct 07 – 15, 2023
Starts at $4,749 USD
Starts at $4,749 USD
How difficult is the riding?
Participants should have some off road riding experience. While it does not require Olympic fitness, you should have the physicality to manage riding a variety of what we consider to be only moderately technical road conditions.
How is the weather?
MotoDiscovery travels during what we consider to be optimum riding seasons. Altitudes range from high deserts of 4,000 feet to mountains reaching 7,000 feet and lower elevations in the canyons approximately 1,200 feet. Temperatures can range from cold mornings with rapid warming through the day. Weather updates are provided in a MotoDiscovery e-mail Communique right before the tour.
Is it safe?
Know that we consider this a priority. Over 30 million travelers come to Mexico on average each year. While we consider the safety question to be overblown, we still take it seriously and recognize that there are territorial criminal elements engaged in drug related activity in many parts of Mexico. These elements rarely bother tourists as this only brings unnecessary attention to them. It is a strange coexistence. We encourage you to contact us if you have any questions or concerns knowing that at any time, anywhere, we feel your security is compromised , we will be honest and respond accordingly.
Is this suitable for a passenger?
Yes. But you may not want this to be your partner’s first adventure touring experience. Often passengers on the off road segments choose to ride in the support vehicle. We suggest you contact MotoDiscovery for further consultation on this matter
I don’t speak Spanish.
No worries. We have native speakers on all of our tours in Mexico. Many people in Mexico speak English. We encourage you to learn a few words and we will gladly provide some lessons along the way if you wish!
How long are the riding days?
Longest day is 260 miles. Shortest day is approximately 60 miles.
What motorcycle is best suited for this ride?
The bike that suits you best. But have the skills and the experience. Midsize bikes are perfect. Even smaller bikes in the 400-600 cc range work well, especially off road. Big Bikes such as the BMW GS1250 should only be used in the hands of those who know how to ride them off road.
What documents are required to enter Mexico?
We will go into detail in pre-tour Communiques. A passport, motorcycle registration, drivers license and a credit card for some temporary importation and tourist card fees should suffice.
What about bringing my own motorcycle?
Yes. Do it. We’ll provide information on storage of a trailer or truck in El Paso and on all the required documents and insurance. We go into detail on bike preparations as well.
Can I fly into El Paso and rent a motorcycle from you?
Usually this can be arranged. The motorcycles have to be transported from one of our Southwest facilities so advanced planning is required. Contact us for availability.
Do I need special insurance?
Yes. Your USA motorcycle insurance will not serve you once in Mexico. Quality and reasonably priced Mexico insurance is available. Information on this matter will be provided in your pre-tour information e-booklet.
How are the accommodations?
MotoDiscovery strives to provide the best possible accommodations for our riding guests. Be mindful that “expedition” style travel often has us traveling in lesser developed regions. Therefore a degree of tolerance and flexibility when it comes to quality, is expected. Overall we find lodging on this tour to be very good.
What about the food?
As is the usual MotoDiscovery policy we encourage ordering from an open menu and enjoy sharing with you a great dining experience. You won’t be disappointed. Those with special dietary requirements can count on our cooperation and satisfaction.
Can MotoDiscovery design a private tour just for me and my friends?
The Copper Canyon Expedition is a great model for us to build you a private and customized touring experience, just for you and your friends. Contact MotoDiscovery for consultation.
Will I get more information?
Tour preparation is important. You will receive electronically a comprehensive tour booklet that will address all your questions. You are encouraged to call or send us an email at any time if you have additional questions. We welcome your inquiries.
When should I sign up?
Now. Please. Early sign ups are essential in order that we can secure the best of accommodations and make certain you receive the motorcycle of your choice. Call your friends. Organize a group. Start your planning today.